Sunday, December 21, 2014

Part 6: vRealize Operations 6.0 - Am I missing the Badge Scores?




With the release of vRealize Operations Manager 6.0, a number of new things have been introduced. While I continue to add content around what's new in my series on this new release, I always wanted to share some major changes int he way data is displayed and should be interpreted with the new release.
If you have worked on vCenter Operations Manager 5.x, you would know about the badge scores which you see with each badge which represents a particular Super Metric, see the highlighted scores in the screenshot below from the old version:




Now let's look at the same badges on the home screen of vRealize Operations Manager 6.0.



While the shape of the badges remain the same, you will notice that the scores are GONE. Even if you dig down further into minor badges you will notice that the scores are gone. While the scores are no longer displayed, the badge colours are still driven by the thresholds. Infact, if you move your mouse pointer on one any of the badge, you will see the score popping up. See the screenshot below:-



While, the scores are not available on the badges on the Recommendations (HOME DASHBOARD), if you dig down deeper into badges, you will start seeing this score for specific objects in the inventory. See the screenshot below where, I am checking the Anomalies score for a custom group in the vROps inventory and I can see the scores right on the badges.



I believe the reason for taking out the scores from the Home page is to give more visualization to the screen than calculation. I like it since I can now look at the scores if I need to and only worry about colour changes when they breach the thresholds which I have defined in the policies of my environment.

In the posts to come, I will talk about more such enhancements and changes to ensure that your learning curve of this new release is fast paced :-)

Till then...

Share & Spread the Knowledge

2 comments:

  1. Someone in VMware told me that the scores were taken out at the request of IT admins. If your boss looks at the dashboard and sees Helth with a green badge but a score of 90, the likelihood is that he'll start asking you about the 10% that's missing. Better that he just sees a nice friendly "green for go" badge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone in VMware told me that the scores were taken out at the request of IT admins. If your boss looks at the dashboard and sees Helth with a green badge but a score of 90, the likelihood is that he'll start asking you about the 10% that's missing. Better that he just sees a nice friendly "green for go" badge.

    ReplyDelete